Monday, July 5, 2010

The Olympic Coast and Rainforests



Ruby Beach From the Visitors Parking Lot



Ruby Beach Overlook



"Beach 4"



"Awesome, surf's up dude. Let me get my boogie board and we can like hang twenty."



"I'm having like so much fun I don't know which way to run next."



Larry at "Big Cedar"



Marsha at "Big Cedar" peeking through the hole in the trunk.



A rain forest telephone booth.


Date: Friday, July 3rd
Day: 50
RV Miles: 4,713
Location: Forks, WA
Elevation: 299

Today was an easy day – about a 60-mile trip down the coast. The trip was not as scenic as yesterday, but the scenery is still quite breathtaking. There is about a 13 or 14 mile section of the coast that forms a continuous natural beach right along highway 101 (costal highway).

The beaches are really exciting for Sasha and I. There are so many smells and sounds to deal with and then there are the birds and the breeze constantly bringing new smells to your nose. I thought Sasha was going to have a nervous breakdown she kept trying to run in 40 directions at once. I was disappointed though because Larry and Marsha wouldn't let Sasha or I anywhere near the water. I can understand keeping Sasha dry but not a low-maintenance dog like me.

This area has the most rain of anyplace in the continental US and it creates forests that are so dense and lush that there had to be some claim to the world’s biggest trees. On the way back, there were turnoffs to two huge cedar trees and one huge spruce tree. Larry thought that after the redwoods and sequoias anything else would be anti-climatic. He was wrong. They were not as big as other trees we had seen but they were Monarchs in their own right.

The last stop on the way home was, of all things, a rain forest. Yes, a rain forest in the lower 48 created by just the right mixture of temperature, rain and elevation.

Tomorrow we will witness Forks way of celebrating an Old Fashion 4th of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment