Monday, July 26, 2010

Little Bighorn Memorial



The monument atop "Last Stand Hill" marking the mass grave of over 200 of Custer's men.



Part of the memorial to the Indians who died in the battle.



View of Last Stand Hill marking the place where the last 43 soldiers, including Custer fell.



The marker showing the place where General Custer fell



The family on a evening stroll across the prairie

Date: Sunday July 25th
Day: 72
RV Miles: 6,244
Location: Garryowen, MT
Elevation: 3,242

Today was a non-event for Sasha and I and that’s probably a good thing. The humidity was about 50% and it was 95 degrees in the sun and if you stood in the sun it would burn you to a crisp in about 10 minutes. Sasha and I decided to say in the air conditioned RV while the humans went to visit the Little Bighorn Battlefield Memorial.

Larry told me he had been there about 15 years ago but didn’t get a chance to see much. At the time he asked one of the rangers where was the memorial for the Indians. The ranger said he didn’t know. Well they now have an Indian memorial at the battlefield, after all it was the Indians who were attacked and Custer was attacking the women and children. Larry said he was surprised by the size of the battlefield and that the battle was a running battle that covered over five miles of prairie and lasted two days.

While they were walking around in the sweltering heat us dogs relaxed in air conditioned comfort. Now, tell me again who is the dumb animal?

On another front, Sasha’s love life seems to be totally OK. I was sure Cooper was playing her. Since we left Gardiner, Sasha hasn’t lost a beat and I asked her about Cooper and all she said was, “Who?” Well it looks like she was just playing the game, flirting and leading Cooper on. Bitch!

I also think I am in Larry’s doghouse right now. Each morning when Sasha wakes Larry up at 5AM the first thing he has to do is to take Sasha and me outside so we can make sure no one is lurking around the RV. We usually use this time to go potty. This is different than going on patrol. On patrol, Larry keeps us on six-foot leads and we march three abreast with me on the left and Larry in the middle. However, for the first go-outside of the morning, Larry puts us on variable length leases. Mine goes all the way out to 35 feet. This morning on our first go-outside I spotted a road runner. Larry was looking the other way and didn’t see the rascal. Well I did what every self-respecting bird dog – lab mix would do - I challenged the road runner to a race and I was doing really good for the first 35 feet. Well it looks like my fifty pound weight running at road-runner speed is more than Larry’s 180 pounds can handle. I spun him around, dropped him to his butt and drug him a few feet before he stopped me and the road runner got away. Since there may be ladies reading this blog, I will not repeat what he said.

Tomorrow we head East again to Rapid City, South Dakota. Larry is a little sad about that since this will be the end to the scenic mountains and wide-open spaces. I think he got addicted to scenery out west. I asked Larry what he planned to do in Rapid City and he just said, “Wall, Deadwood, the Badlands, and Rushmore.” Looks like we will be there for a few days.

Note: Sorry I didn’t get this posted earlier, but we had company that kept us up till 11PM and then we had to break camp early and head for Rapid City. This post was completed in Rapid City about 6:30 Rapid City time.

No comments:

Post a Comment